Sep 11, 2012

Amtrak Empire Builder train trip from Detroit to Portland



These pictures are from the trip I just made across the country, traveling from Detroit to Portland, Oregon on Amtrak Empire Builder train. The whole trip took about 30 hours and was an awesome experience. I have to say now that train travel is much more comfortable than bus. The pictures were shot in Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington and finally Oregon. I spent every waking moment with the camera up to the window and was grateful for the power outlets so I could keep the batteries charged the whole time and get a few thousand wonderful photos of this magnificent country. The hardest part of putting together this blog post is just deciding which pictures to post.

I learned a few things too. One thing I learned is that northwestern Wisconsin is somewhat mountainous and very hilly.  I always imagined it to look more like Michigan and Illinois, mostly flat with a few smaller hills, but not quite as hilly as it was. What a beautiful area of the country that is. There's also a picture of the Wisconsin Dells.

Another thing I learned is that the trash receptacle lid in the restrooms has a very sharp edge and a very powerful and fast acting spring that forces it closed in a split second. Because of having to learn this the hard way, I ended up with a nice cut on my finger, but luckily I thought about bringing band aids, just in case! I sure used them on this trip. So another thing to always remember is to bring band aids.

On the last morning of the trip, I woke up with the sun coming up in Washington state and it was all so gorgeous, especially what followed which is the majestic mountains, cliffs and hills along Columbia River Gorge.

I really enjoyed every part of this trip, seeing the varying scenery in every state. Now I'm enjoying the vast beauty of Portland, Oregon which is my new home. I will share more of the Portland wanderings in future blog posts.

But right now my main priority is to find a job asap. I do know that unemployment is much lower in Portland than Detroit.



The trip from Detroit to Chicago on the first train

Leg Room!

At the beginning of the trip

Michigan countryside in early morning

a southern Michigan town

The fold out tray and foot rest was handy and there was ample leg room.

Chicago

Chicago, with the Sears Tower on the left

Wisconsin Farm

Wisconsin Dells



my train neighbors, a mother and her baby

Wisconsin farm and pond

Wisconsin

North Dakota hay 

short break

Sunflowers

a small Montana town

Oil drilling in North Dakota

Montana

North Dakota

North Dakota farm

Meth is a Dead End in this North Dakota town


This little bundle of joy sat across me most of the trip. 


Montana




Montana

The Lounge Car

Montana

Glacier National Park, Montana

Glacier National Park, Montana

Glacier National Park, Montana

Glacier National Park, Montana

Glacier National Park, Montana

Montana

Waking up in Washington state

Washington state

VW bus chilling out by the river inWashington state
b
Lounge Car

Windmills in Washington state

Columbia River Gorge Washington state

Oregon

Oregon


c
Columbia River Gorge

Mt Hood

Columbia River Gorge

Columbia River Gorge

Columbia River Gorge

Columbia River Gorge

Columbia River Gorge

Columbia River Gorge

Columbia River Gorge

Oregon

First sight of Portland

Portland


Portland





Mt Hood looming

Portland skyline behind houses from the aerial tram

Portland skyline from the aerial tram


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having moved to Portland. I hope things work out for you there. It's certainly a cool city.

Anonymous said...

Pretty! This has been an incredibly wonderful post.
Thanks for supplying these details.

Anonymous said...

Saved as a favorite, I love your web site! corso excel

Anonymous said...

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really
nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later on. Many thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been following your site for a while now and finally got
the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out
from Austin Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent
job!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finally writing about >"Amtrak Empire Builder train trip from Detroit to Portland" <Loved it!